Current Affairs 14th January 2023 are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 14th January 2023 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Current Affairs 14th January 2023 covering the following news headlines: Indian Army Day, Armed Forces Veterans Day, FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023, MAARG Portal, ICG Ship ‘Kamla Devi’, Saharsh.
Top 16 Daily Current Affairs: National & International News:
Here is providing below the top 16 important Daily General Knowledge 2022 updates with national & international news.
1. India’s First Centre of Excellence in Online Gaming to be set up in Shillong
- Digital India Startup Hub, through the Software Technology Parks of India, shall set up India’s first Centre of Excellence in Online Gaming at Shillong by March 2023. This was announced by Minister of State for Electronics & Information Technology and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Rajeev Chandrasekhar, at a function in Meghalaya’s capital.
- The Minister announced another initiative of MeitY to set up a state-of-the-art facility under the National Institute of Electronics and IT (NIELIT) to provide training on cutting edge Digital Skills at Shillong. A 10-acre campus shall soon be ready for this purpose which shall cater to the skilling requirement of youth in the North East Region.
2. Union Labour Minister Inaugurated Regional Office of EPFO at Alwar
- Union Labour and Employment Minister Bhupendra Yadav inaugurated the Regional Office of Employees provident Fund Organization (EPFO) at Alwar, Rajasthan. The Regional Office will help more than 2 lakh workers, 12,000 establishments, and 8,500 pensioners from Alwar and the neighboring districts of Bharatpur and Dholpur.
- The major industrial areas served by Regional Office are Bhiwadi, Khushkhera, Tapukara, Karoli, Neemrana, Behror, Gheelot, and Khairthal.
- At the inaugural ceremony, Union Minister Bhupendra Yadav highlighted Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘s vision of good governance providing governance and welfare services to the citizens at their doorstep.
- The upgradation of the EPFOs District Office at Alwar to the Regional Office will enable the workers and employers of Alwar, Bharatpur, and Dholpur districts to avail full scale of EPFO services.
3. European Union Inaugurates First Mainland Orbital Launch Complex
- European officials and Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf inaugurated the EU’s first mainland orbital launch complex. The European Union wants to bolster its capacity to launch small satellites into space with a new launchpad in Arctic Sweden. The new facility at Esrange Space Centre near the city of Kiruna should complement the EU’s current launching capabilities in French Guiana.
- European officials and Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf inaugurated the EU’s first mainland orbital launch complex during a visit to Sweden by members of the European Commission.
- European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen noted that small satellites are crucial to track natural disasters in real-time.
4. “Saharsh” Special Education Program Launched by Tripura State Government
- The ‘Saharsh’ was launched in 40 schools of the state on a pilot basis in August last year. This year, it will be extended to all government and aided schools in Tripura from the second week of January.
- A similar program, which was found to be effective in social and economic development in research studies of Harvard and Columbia Universities is being contextualized with local realities of India before being implemented in Tripura.
- The school education department has introduced 36 reforms in the last five years and the higher education department has 19 reforms.
- The ‘Saharsh’ initiative is aimed at empowering children to learn with happiness.
- The state government has trained 204 schools for the ‘Saharsh’ curriculum while 200 more will be trained in the future.
- 30 assistant headmasters from different districts of Tripura were also selected to work as Saharsh implementation ambassadors.
5. Assam to Celebrate Mongeet Festival of Music, Culture, and Food
- Mongeet is a festival of music, poetry, art, craft, food, culinary techniques, indigenous herbs, and culture celebrated in Majuli, Assam. The Mongeet festival started in the year 2020 as a movement of arts and music and it aims to nurture the upcoming musical talents of Assam. It was started by actor Adil Hussain and Kaushik Nath, an actor-director-turned-entrepreneur.
- Mongeet festival will be held on 15th, 16th, and 17th January at Dekasang, Majuli and on 19th and 20th January at Dekasang, Sadiya.
- This edition of the Mongeet festival will witness Montulika, a creative painting workshop, and Monmritikka, a special workshop on the rich art and sculpture of Assam.
- It is the only festival from Assam that is designed to promote music, art, culture, and food.
- This Festival aims to educate people about the culture of Assam and introduce the rich musicians of the state to the world.
6. India’s Forex Reserves Shrink by USD 1.268 bn to USD 561.583 bn
- India’s forex reserves declined by USD 1.268 billion to USD 561.583 billion for the week ended January 6, the Reserve Bank said. The overall reserves had increased by USD 44 million to USD 562.851 billion in the previous reporting week after two consecutive weeks of the slide.
- In October 2021, the country’s foreign exchange kitty reached an all-time high of USD 645 billion. The reserves had been declining as the central bank deployed the reserves to defend the rupee amid pressures caused by global developments. Foreign currency assets (FCA), a major component of the overall reserves, dropped by USD 1.747 billion to USD 496.441 billion during the week to January 6, according to the Weekly Statistical Supplement released by the RBI.
7. NCLT gives Approval for Merger of Multiplex Operators PVR and Inox
- In a major boost to the film and entertainment industry, PVR-Inox merger has been approved by the National Company Law Tribunal. The NCLT judge has approved the scheme of merger in a verbal order. A written order is likely to be passed in the next 15-20 days. On March 27, PVR and Inox Leisure announced their merger, which has already been approved by their respective shareholders, creditors as well as leading bourses NSE and BSE.
- The merger of PVR-INOX has been much talked about since 2022. It must be noted that being the country’s top multiplexes, both INOX and PVR were also front-running competitors. The two companies’ boards — the country’s largest multiplex chain operators — approved an all-stock merger to create a film exhibition entity with a network of more than 1,500 screens.
8. ICG Ship ‘Kamla Devi’, Fifth and Last vessel of FPV Series Commissioned at Kolkata
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) ship ‘Kamla Devi’ the Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) which is designed, built, and delivered by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd to Indian Coast Guard was commissioned in Kolkata, West Bengal. Indian Coast Guard ship Kamla Devi is officially the fifth and last vessel of the series of FPVs designed and built by GRSE as per the specifications of the Indian Coast Guard.
- ICGS Kamla Devi is 48.9 meters long and 7.5 meters. It has a displacement of 308 tonnes. It is capable of a top speed of 34 knots and an endurance of over 1,500 nautical miles. It has an integrated bridge system and is fitted with a 40/60 gun as the main armament. The ship has advanced livable facilities with fully air-conditioned accommodations for 35 personnel.
Science and Technology News
9. Startup firm IG Drones Develops India’s First 5G-enabled Drone, Skyhawk
- Startup firm IG Drones, which was born out of the Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) campus in Odisha’s Sambalpur has developed a 5G-enabled drone that is capable of vertical take-off and landing. As it’s a VTOL (Vertical Take-off and Landing), it can be operated from any terrain without the need for a conventional runway.
- The drone named Skyhawk can be used in defence and medical applications, among other sectors. The drone can carry a 10 kg payload and has an endurance of around five hours.
- With Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) providing 5G services in the country, these drones can be controlled with much more precision and can be controlled from the command centre directly rather than being on the field.
10. OneWeb launches 40 SpaceX satellites, to start global services this year
- Airtel-backed OneWeb successfully launched and deployed 40 satellites onboard a SpaceX launcher. This was the UK-based satellite network provider’s 16th successful launch, bringing the total number of satellites in its low-Earth orbit (LEO) constellation of satellites up to 542. OneWeb originally sought to deploy a total of 648 satellites to enable its network of satellite-based internet connectivity around the world.
- Internet connectivity based on its satellite constellation is presently active in Alaska, ‘wider Arctic area’, Canada, Greenland and the UK. Services in the US, Australia, Middle East and Southern Europe will “come online soon”.
11. Piyush Goyal to Launch MAARG Portal for Startup Mentorship
- The MAARG (Mentorship, Advisory, Assistance, Resilience, and Growth) platform will be launched by Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal. The Commerce Ministry said MAARG, a portal to facilitate mentorship for start-ups across diverse sectors, and geographies, will go live on January 16.
- The minister will also award outstanding start-ups and enablers which have demonstrated exceptional capabilities not just in terms of financial gains, but also for the measurable impact on society. The winning start-ups will be given a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh each. One exceptional incubator and one accelerator each will get a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh.
12. 11-year-old Falak Mumtaz Won gold medal at 23rd National Sqay Championship
- Falak Mumtaz, an 11-year-old girl from Jammu and Kashmir has bagged a gold medal in National Sqay Championship. Falak Mumtaz has achieved a gold medal in the National Sqay Championship which was held in Jammu. She is currently studying sixth standard at Aisha Ali Academy in Kulgam.
- The 23rd National Sqay Championship was organized by the SQAY Federation of India and hosted by Jammu and Kashmir SQAY Association at Indoor Stadium Bhagwati Nagar, Jammu. In the 23rd National Sqay Championship, players from all over Jammu and Kashmir performed very well and bagged 1st place in the overall medal tally. 11-year-old Falak Mumtaz won a gold medal at the 23rd National Sqay Championship. Andhra Pradesh bagged 2nd place and Odisha was in 3rd place.
13. Indian peacekeepers honoured with UN Medal for Exemplary Service
- Over 1,000 Indian peacekeepers serving with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) have been honoured with the prestigious UN medals at an award ceremony where the parade was led for the first time by a woman officer of the Indian Army.
- At a special award ceremony in Upper Nile, 1,171 peacekeepers from India deployed with the UN mission in South Sudan were honoured with UN medals for their exemplary service. for the first time, a female officer of the Indian Army, Major Jasmine Chattha, led the parade of the large Indian contingent, comprising infantry, engineers and medical officials, at the award ceremony in Upper Nile.
14. FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 begins in Cuttack
- Men’s Hockey World Cup, 2023 has began with a spectacular opening ceremony at the picturesque Barabati Stadium in Cuttack that was witnessed by thousands of hockey lovers in attendance from across the country and abroad.
- Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, International Hockey Federation president Tayyab Ikram and Hockey India chairman Dilip Tirkey were present at the glittering ceremony. 16 teams are participating in the global tournament.
- The matches will be held at two venues, Birsa Mundra Hockey Stadium in Rourkela and Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar, from January 13 to January 29.
- While 20 matches will be played at Rourkela, 24 matches, including the final, will be held in Bhubaneswar.
- The state government has built a new hockey stadium in Rourkela ahead of the event.
- Odisha is hosting the international event for the second consecutive time, the previous one having been held in Bhubaneswar in 2018.
15. 7th Armed Forces Veterans Day celebrates on 14 January 2023
- The Armed Forces Veterans Day is celebrated on 14th January since 1953, the First Indian Commander in Chief (C-in-C) of Indian Army- Field Marshal KM Cariappa, who led Indian Forces to Victory in the 1947 war, had formally retired from the Services.
- The Day is celebrated as Armed Forces Veterans Day and dedicated to our esteemed Veterans. The First Armed Forces Veterans Day was celebrated on January, 14, 2016 and it was decided to commemorate this day every year by hosting such interactive events in the honor of our Armed Forces Veterans and their families.
16. 75th Indian Army Day observed on 15 January 2023
- Indian army day 2023 is celebrated on 15th January 2023 and it mark the 75th anniversary of the Indian army day. Every year on January 15, India celebrates its Army Day. It is the day on which Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa (then a Lieutenant General) took over as the first CommanderinChief of the Indian Army from the last British CommanderinChief of India, General Fransis Bucher in the year 1949.
- Parades, medal presenting and other ceremonies are organized to celebrate the Army Day. With “Service before self” as its motto, the Indian Army is the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces.