Read the most important current affairs of 14 October 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on India’s Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 5.0, Parcel Delivery Service ‘Xtreme’, ICICI Bank Introduces ‘iFinance,’ World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) 2023.
Top 21 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 14 October 2023
1.IMI 5.0 Campaign With Special Focus On Boosting Measles And Rubella Vaccination To End Today
- India’s Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 5.0, a flagship immunization campaign launched by the Health Ministry, is nearing its conclusion today. This campaign strives to reach children who have missed vaccine doses or fallen behind their vaccination schedule, along with pregnant women across the country.
- IMI 5.0 is a major undertaking to enhance immunization coverage for all vaccines provided under the Universal Immunization Programme, as per the National Immunization Schedule. Unlike previous iterations, this year, the campaign was conducted across all districts in the country and extended to include children up to five years of age, expanding the scope of its mission. Previous campaigns had only targeted children up to two years old.
- IMI 5.0 also carried a special focus on improving the vaccination coverage for measles and rubella. The goal is to eliminate both infections from the country by 2023. This critical aspect of the campaign aims to ensure that children and pregnant women receive the necessary doses to protect against these diseases, contributing to the nation’s broader public health goals.
2.CM Hemant Soren Unveils ‘Juhi’ Mascot for Women’s Asian Champions Trophy 2023
- In a vibrant ceremony at Project Bhawan in Dhurva, Ranchi, Jharkhand, the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Jharkhand, Hemant Soren, unveiled the mascot for the upcoming Women’s Asian Champions Trophy 2023. ‘Juhi,’ the mascot, takes inspiration from the beloved elephant at Betla National Park.
- The event also marked the initiation of the Trophy Tour for the Jharkhand Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Ranchi 2023. The magnificent trophy will embark on a tour across all districts of the state, commencing on October 13, 2023. The Trophy Tour will conclude on October 25, 2023, with the trophy returning to Ranchi, setting the stage for the tournament’s commencement.
- The unveiling of the mascot ‘Juhi’ and the launch of the Trophy Tour mark the exciting countdown to the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Ranchi 2023. With a rich cultural symbol and the support of esteemed dignitaries, the tournament promises to be a celebration of athleticism, heritage, and unity.
3.First Ever Mobile Tower Installed At Siachen Glacier By The Indian Army
- The Siachen Glacier, known as the world’s highest battlefield, has witnessed a groundbreaking development with the installation of a mobile tower. The Fire and Fury Corps of the Indian Army, in collaboration with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), achieved this remarkable feat, bringing enhanced mobile communication to soldiers deployed at elevations exceeding 15,500 feet.
- The “Siachen Warriors” in partnership with BSNL erected the first-ever BSNL Base Transceiver Station (BTS) at forward posts in the Siachen Glacier region. This strategic installation promises to bridge the communication gap for the soldiers stationed in one of the harshest terrains on Earth. The aim is to enhance the well-being of the courageous soldiers who protect the nation in this perilous setting.
4.3 Naga, youngest Naga battalion, gets President’s Colour
- In a momentous ceremony at the Kumaon Regimental Centre (KRC) in Ranikhet, the 3rd Battalion of the Naga Regiment, also known as 3 Naga, was presented with the prestigious President’s Colour award.
- This significant recognition, symbolized by a flag, was bestowed upon the battalion by Army Chief Gen. Manoj Pande, marking a remarkable milestone in the unit’s illustrious history.
- This award acknowledges their unwavering commitment, dedication, and acts of valor. It is a moment of pride not only for the battalion but also for the entire nation. The 3rd Battalion of the Naga Regiment was established on October 1, 2009, in Haldwani, situated amidst the Kumaon Hills, the ancestral home of the Kumaon and Naga regiments.
5.Proposals for acquisition of aircraft carrier, LCA Mk1A jets lined up for approval by DAC
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) is set to review two significant proposals with a cumulative budget exceeding 1 lakh crore. These proposals come from the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force, presenting ambitious plans for the country’s defense capabilities.
- The Navy has proposed a repeat order of an Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II, following the success of the INS Vikrant. This carrier is estimated to cost around 40,000 crore.
- The Indian Air Force is seeking 97 additional Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-MK1A fighters to bolster its aerial capabilities. This request is estimated to cost approximately 67,000 crore.
6.Goods exports dipped, but August tally lifts outlook
- India’s goods exports faced a continuous decline, marking the seventh consecutive month of downturn in August 2023. The year-on-year data revealed a 6.86% decrease, plummeting to $34.48 billion.
- Imports in August 2023 exhibited a decline of 5.23%, amounting to $58.64 billion. This fall was primarily attributed to reduced imports of petroleum, coal and coke, pearls, precious and semi-precious stones, and fertilizers.
- Despite the overall decrease, half of the top thirty export items, including engineering, electronics, pharmaceuticals, and select agricultural goods, experienced growth in August. This positive trend sparked optimism within the government about future prospects.
7.ICICI Bank Introduces ‘iFinance,’ A One-Stop Solution for Multi-Bank Account Access
- ICICI Bank has recently launched ‘iFinance,’ a revolutionary feature that is set to change the way millions of customers, including retail clients and sole proprietors, manage their finances.
- This innovative service empowers customers to consolidate their savings and current accounts from multiple banks into one convenient location. The ‘iFinance’ feature is available through ICICI Bank’s digital platforms, including the iMobile Pay app, Retail Internet Banking (RIB), Corporate Internet Banking (CIB), and InstaBIZ, the Bank’s mobile app designed for businesses.
- By providing a unified view of customers’ finances across multiple banks and offering a range of powerful features, ICICI Bank is empowering users to take control of their financial well-being like never before. This is a significant step towards making banking simpler, more accessible, and ultimately, more user-friendly.
8.Zomato Introduces Parcel Delivery Service, ‘Xtreme’ With Primary Focus On Merchants
- The prominent Indian food tech company, Zomato, has introduced a hyperlocal delivery service called ‘Xtreme‘. This service aims to leverage the extensive fleet of over 3 lakh two-wheeler delivery executives that Zomato has at its disposal.
- Xtreme offers a versatile solution for businesses and individual users by allowing them to ship small parcels of items that encompass a wide spectrum of products, including documents, medicines, food, groceries, apparel, cosmetics, and more. These parcels can weigh up to 10 kg, making it a flexible option for a variety of delivery needs.
- Xtreme is designed to cater to the needs of both small and large businesses for the intracity delivery of small packages. The service has already been rolled out in nearly 750-800 cities where Zomato provides food delivery and is accessible via a separate app.
9.Indian Oil Corporation Board Approves ₹1,660 Crore Investment in NTPC Green Energy JV
- Indian Oil Corporation’s board has given the green light for an equity investment of ₹1,660.15 crore, securing a 50% stake in the joint venture company Indian Oil NTPC Green Energy. This strategic move aligns with their commitment to renewable energy initiatives.
- The joint venture was established in June, bringing together Indian Oil Corporation and NTPC Green Energy, a wholly owned subsidiary of power producer NTPC. The collaboration aims to develop renewable energy-based power projects, specifically focusing on solar PV and wind technologies.
- The approved funds will be utilized to set up state-of-the-art renewable energy power plants. These plants will play a crucial role in meeting the round-the-clock power requirements of upcoming projects within IndianOil refineries.
10.Microsoft Completes $69 Billion Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Microsoft has successfully completed its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, the renowned developer behind popular video game franchises like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.
- This monumental deal, valued at $69 billion, signifies Microsoft’s largest-ever acquisition in its history, surpassing the $26 billion purchase of LinkedIn in 2016 and the $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda in 2021.
- This acquisition positions Microsoft as a formidable player in the gaming sector, allowing it to emerge as the third-largest gaming company by revenue globally, trailing only Tencent and Sony.
Important Days News
11.World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) 2023
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) 2023 is a global event celebrated twice a year, each with a unique focus. This year, the fall celebration falls on October 14 and revolves around the theme “Water: Sustaining Bird Life.”
- It’s a day that highlights the importance of migratory birds and their conservation efforts. World Migratory Bird Day 2023 brings our attention to the remarkable journeys and vital role of water in the lives of migratory birds.
- In 1993, the United States initiated the idea of a day dedicated to migratory birds. It was a joint effort by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center, and the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. Their aim was to encourage bird festivals and educational programs nationwide. Later, in 2016, the first global World Migratory Bird Day was celebrated.
Summits and Conferences News
12.PM Modi to Inaugurate 141st IOC Session in Mumbai
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate the 141st International Olympic Committee (IOC) session at the Jio World Centre in Mumbai on October 14.
- This marks India’s second time hosting the IOC session, following a gap of nearly four decades since the 86th IOC session was held in New Delhi in 1983. The previous event in New Delhi laid the groundwork for the growth of sports in India.
- The IOC session serves as a pivotal platform for making critical decisions concerning the future of the Olympic Games and facilitates interaction and knowledge exchange among stakeholders in the world of sports. The event fosters collaboration and knowledge sharing among various stakeholders in the sports world.
13.17th CII Annual Tourism Summit
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is organizing the 17th CII Tourism Summit on October 13, 2023, in Mumbai. This event will unite industry stakeholders to discuss challenges and outline a roadmap for the sector’s growth.
- A well-defined regulatory framework is needed to ensure a seamless and secure travel experience for visitors. Encouraging responsible tourism practices can help preserve natural and cultural assets.
- India’s G20 Presidency presents a unique opportunity to attract tourists worldwide. Strategic marketing campaigns can significantly increase the number of visitors, benefiting the industry today and in the future.
Ranks and Reports News
14.Mumbai Secures 19th Spot, Bengaluru 22nd And New Delhi 25th In The Knight Frank Index
- London-based property consultant, Knight Frank, has recently unveiled its Global Prime Residential Index, providing insight into the performance of various cities across the world in the residential real estate market.
- With an astonishing annual percentage change of six percent, Mumbai has ascended 76 places to secure the 19th position on the index, a significant improvement from its 95th position in Q2 2022.
- Bengaluru, known as India’s Silicon Valley, stands as the second-highest ranked Indian city on the index. The city has moved up to the 22nd position from the 77th spot in Q2 2022, showcasing the strong growth it has witnessed.
- New Delhi, the national capital of India, secured the 25th position on the Global Prime Residential Index. Chennai and Kolkata, two other major Indian cities, have been ranked 4th and 5th, respectively, among Indian cities and globally stood at the 39th and 40th positions.
15.NTPC Becomes The Only Indian PSU To Feature In Forbes “World’s Best Employers 2023” List
- India’s largest integrated energy conglomerate, NTPC Limited, has achieved a remarkable distinction by being named one of the “World’s Best Employers 2023” in the Forbes World’s Best Employers list, which was officially unveiled on October 10, 2023.
- This prestigious recognition places NTPC at the 261st position among the top 700 companies globally and highlights its exceptional commitment to fostering a positive work environment and employee-centric practices. Notably, NTPC Limited is the sole Indian Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) to secure a place on this distinguished list.
- NTPC’s inclusion on the Forbes World’s Best Employers List 2023 underscores the company’s commitment to a progressive “People before PLF” (Plant Load Factor) approach which revolves around placing employee well-being and development at the forefront of its operations, ensuring that the needs of its workforce are paramount.
16.Michael Douglas to be conferred Satyajit Ray Excellence in Film Lifetime Award
- Renowned Hollywood actor Michael Douglas is set to receive the prestigious Satyajit Ray Excellence in Film Lifetime Award at the 54th International Film Festival to be held in Goa.
- Michael Douglas’s illustrious career boasts numerous awards and iconic film roles. He has an impressive list of accolades, including two Academy Awards, five Golden Globe Awards, a Primetime Emmy Award, the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and the AFI Life Achievement Award. These honors underscore his remarkable acting prowess and contributions to the film industry.
- The 54th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) is scheduled to take place from November 20 to 28 in the picturesque state of Goa. IFFI is a platform that celebrates the art of filmmaking, providing a global stage for showcasing the best of international and Indian cinema.
17.Sandeep Shandilya Assumes Role As Hyderabad Police Commissioner
- The Election Commission of India made a significant announcement on October 13, by appointing senior IPS officer Sandeep Shandilya as the new police commissioner of Hyderabad.
- Shandilya, an officer of the 1993 IPS batch, is presently serving as the director of the Telangana State Police Academy (TSPA). This decision comes after the transfer of the former police commissioner, CV Anand.
- Sandeep Shandilya has had a distinguished career in the Indian Police Service. His journey through various positions within the police force is a testament to his experience and leadership. In the year 2006, he served as the Deputy Commissioner of Police for the South Zone, demonstrating his capabilities in maintaining law and order.
18.Neeraj Chopra Nominated for 2023 World Athlete of the Year Award
- World Athletics, the global governing body for athletics, has officially nominated Neeraj Chopra for the prestigious Men’s Athlete of the Year award for 2023.
- A panel of international athletics experts, representing all six continental areas of World Athletics, diligently selected the 11 nominees for this prestigious award. Among these nominees, Neeraj Chopra, the Olympic and world champion, is vying for the title of the world’s best male athlete.
- The voting process for the 2023 World Athletes of the Year award has commenced. After a thorough three-way voting process, the finalists will be determined. The winners will be officially announced on December 11, 2023, through World Athletics’ social media platforms.
19.Shubman Gill named as ICC ‘Player of the Month’ for September
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has once again acknowledged outstanding cricketing performances by awarding the ‘Player of the Month’ titles for September 2023. These awards not only honor their individual performances but also acknowledge their significant contributions to their respective teams’ successes.
- In this edition, India’s Shubman Gill clinches the ICC Men’s ‘Player of the Month,’ while Sri Lanka’s Chamari Athapaththu emerges as the ICC Women’s ‘Player of the Month.’ Shubman Gill’s prolific run-scoring and Chamari Athapaththu’s all-round brilliance have rightfully earned them these accolades.
20.Former England captain Alastair Cook announced his retirement from cricket
- Former England captain Alastair Cook, a cricketing legend, has officially announced his retirement from the sport. This marks the end of a remarkable career, both internationally and at his long-time county team, Essex.
- Cook had previously retired from international cricket in 2018, leaving behind an illustrious legacy. He amassed an astonishing 12,472 Test runs during his international career, making him the highest-scoring English batter and the fifth-highest run-scorer in Test history.
- His achievements and leadership on the field have left an indelible mark, making him one of the most respected and revered figures in the sport. Cook’s legacy will be celebrated for generations to come, and his records will serve as a testament to his exceptional talent and dedication to the game.
21.IOC has accepted the recommendation to include T20 cricket into the 2028 Olympics
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) recently took a significant step towards embracing the world’s most popular sport, Cricket, by accepting the recommendation to include T20 cricket for both men and women at the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Olympics.
- The LA28 local organizing committee played a significant role in pushing for cricket’s inclusion. It recommended the “potential inclusion” of not only cricket but also four other sports: baseball/softball, flag football, lacrosse, and squash. These recommendations align with the broader ethos of LA28, creating a diverse and dynamic sporting environment for the 2028 Los Angeles Games.
- India’s performance at the Hangzhou Asian Games, where the country secured over 100 medals for the first time, was a key influencer in the IOC’s decision-making process. Bach also noted that India ranks second on the IOC’s social media handles, highlighting the tremendous interest of the young generation in the Olympics.
Important Current Affairs of 14 October 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments and current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!