World First Aid Day 2022: Every year, people around the world observe World First Aid Day on the second Saturday in September. This year, World First Aid Day was celebrated on September 10. The purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the value of first aid, which is a crucial foundational skill, and to highlight how it can save the lives of people in unexpected emergencies. More than 100 Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies perform events and ceremonies on this day to raise awareness of the need for first aid.
First Aid: It is a quick and efficient intervention that reduces pain and injury, improving the odds of survival for those who need it. It is the care provided to patients prior to their seeking medical attention.
World First Aid Day: Theme
The theme of World First Aid Day in 2022 is ‘Lifelong First Aid’ and for 2021, the theme was “First aid and road safety”.
Objectives of World First Aid Day:
- To take the necessary actions to save the lives of those who are ill or injured.
- To take care of an injured person’s condition by providing first aid and making an effort to prevent infection.
- To immediately take the injured person to the hospital.
- Note: One must use caution when giving first aid, and if they are unclear about what to do, they must ask for help from others and professionals.
World First Aid Day: History
World First Aid Day was launched by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) Societies in the year 2000. Following the Battle of Solferino (on June 24, 1859), Henry Dunant saw the misery that people were experiencing and decided to start the IFRC. After the incident, he became worried about people’s health and authored the book “Memories of Solferino.” The book contained details about the group created with the goal of giving first aid to those in need. The main office of the ICRC is in Geneva, Switzerland.
World First Aid Day: Significance
- Every year, thousands of humans die from injuries. If appropriate first aid and medical attention is been given to people at right time, a lot of lives could be easily saved.
- In case of emergencies and everyday situations, when things go wrong, first aid significantly reduces the number of fatalities, injuries, and effects. The main goal of the treatment is to save lives and stop the injury from getting worse.
- Therefore, a basic understanding of first aid should be known to everyone. This goal is met by World First Aid Day.
- The purpose of World First Aid Day is to increase this public understanding and spread awareness among people about the value of first aid as a means of empowering people and as the basis for a more all-encompassing resilience strategy. It’s an opportunity to alter public perceptions about first aid and make first aid instruction more widely available.
FAQs: World First Aid Day 2022
Q.1 When is World First Aid Day 2022 observed?
Ans. World First Aid Day 2022 is observed on September 10.
Q.2 What is the theme of World First Aid Day 2022?
Ans. The theme of World First Aid Day in 2022 is ‘Lifelong First Aid’ .
|Current Affairs April 2022|