Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of the 16th April 2022 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Daily GK Update of the 16th April 2022 covering the following news headlines: World Voice Day 2022, Save the Elephant Day, National basketball championship, 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup, E-National Agriculture Market.
Top 12 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 12 important Daily General Knowledge 2022 updates with national & international news.
1. PM Modi Dedicates K. K. Patel Super Speciality Hospital in Bhuj
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation, a 200-bed KK Patel Super Speciality Hospital in Bhuj in the Kutch district of Gujarat, via video-conferencing.
- This hospital has been built by Shree Kutchi Leva Patel Samaj, Bhuj and is the first charitable super speciality hospital in the Kutch region. It will guarantee quality medical treatment for the people of Kutch including lakhs of soldiers, par military personnel and traders.
- This initiative is in line with the policy of the Central government to set up at least one medical college in every district of the country so that India gets a record number of doctors in the next 10 years.
2. Israel successfully tests ‘Iron Beam’ new laser-based air defence system
- Israel successfully tested a new laser missile-defence system ‘Iron Beam‘ which can destroy any airborne object including drones.
- Iron Beam is the world’s first energy-based weapons system that uses a laser beam to shoot down incoming UAVs, rockets, mortars, long-range missiles, anti-tank missiles etc.
- The Iron Beam which is developed by the Rafael Advanced Defense Systems is using a directed-energy weapon system and can go a long way in providing aerial defence.
Iron Beam: How it works
- Iron Beam works on a fibre laser system to destroy any airborne object.
- Iron Dome defense system has been a great success, with a 90% interception rate against incoming rocket fire.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem;
- Israel President: Isaac Herzog;
- Israel Prime minister: Naftali Bennett;
- Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel.
3. 128th Foundation Day of Punjab National Bank
- Punjab National Bank, India’s second-largest bank has celebrated its 128th Foundation Day on April 12, 2022.
- On the occasion of foundation day, MD & CEO of PNB, Atul Kumar Goel has launched a cardless cash withdrawal service and a virtual debit card for its customers.
- Bank also launched various services on its mobile app named PNB One for safe banking transactions.
- PNB was established by the great freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai, proudly known as Sher-e-Punjab (Lion of Punjab) in 1894 as the First Swadeshi Bank after being influenced by the swadeshi movement.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Founded: 1894;
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Headquarters: New Delhi;
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) MD & CEO: Atul Kumar Goel;
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Tagline: The Name You Can Bank Upon.
4. Fino Payments Bank to buy 12.19% stake in Paysprint Pvt Ltd
- Fino Payments Bank announced that its board of directors has approved a 12.19 percent minority strategic investment in New Delhi-based fintech Paysprint Pvt Ltd. Fino Payments Bank is making its first strategic investment since becoming public. This is in addition to the bank’s Fino 2.0 projects, which include many internal programmes aimed at creating a digital ecosystem for its customers.
- Paysprint, a profitable fintech, is a fast-growing financial technology firm that provides next-generation application programming interfaces (APIs) in banking, payments, travel, lending, insurance, and investment, among other fields.
- Paysprint’s co-founder and CEO, S Anand, said the fintech company is excited to collaborate with Fino Payments Bank and combine technical knowledge to develop innovative banking products and solutions that will increase consumer acceptance.
- Paysprint completed its first full year of operations in FY22, with an annual GMV of Rs 5,500 crore.
5. Prabhat Patnaik named for Malcolm Adiseshiah Award 2022
- Well-known Indian economist and political commentator, Prabhat Patnaik has been selected for the Malcolm Adiseshiah Award 2022.
- The award is annually given by the Malcolm and Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust to an outstanding social scientist selected from nominations received by a specially constituted national jury.
- The award includes a citation and prize money of Rs 2 lakh. Dr Patnaik has taught at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning in the School of Social Sciences at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi and was the Vice Chairman of the Kerala State Planning Board.
6. (e-NAM) National Agriculture Market Completed 6 years
- e-NAM marks the sixth anniversary of the National Agriculture Market (e-NAM), a pan-India electronic trade network. To ease online trade of agricultural commodities, the flagship programme incorporates physical wholesale mandis and markets from several States and Union Territories.
- The Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium is implementing e-NAM, which was launched on April 14th in 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It is completely funded by the Central Government.
- The National Agriculture Market (eNAM) is a pan-India electronic trading system that connects the existing APMC mandis to form a unified national agricultural commodities market. Under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare of the Government of India, the Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC) is the key agency for implementing eNAM.
7. Odisha CM unveils logo of 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has unveiled the logo of the 2023 FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup at the Kalinga stadium in the capital Bhubaneswar. To be held in the twin cities of Bhubaneswar and Rourkela, the prestigious quadrennial tournament is scheduled from January 13 to 29.
- Hockey India and its official partner Odisha will host the marquee event for the second consecutive time in the country after 2018. The 15th edition of the showpiece will be staged in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela, where the country’s largest hockey stadium is being constructed.
8. Tamil Nadu beat Punjab in National basketball championship final
- Tamil Nadu defeated defending champion Punjab 87-69 in the final to win the men’s title in the 71st Senior National Basketball Championship. The formidable Indian Railways team won the women’s title, beating Telangana 131-82 in convincing fashion, riding on Poonam Chaturvedi’s 26 points.
- In the men’s summit clash, Tamil Nadu pulled ahead after a slow start when Punjab kept pace and never looked back. At half-time, the host had widened the lead to 17 with a 50-33 scoreline. An Aravind with 26 points and M Arvind Kumar (21) were in the fine nick for the home team as they stamped their authority against their arch-rival.
Science and Technology News
9. IIT Guwahati collaborated with NTPC to develop energy-efficient tech to capture CO2
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, has teamed up with the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) to design and construct a highly energy-efficient CO2 collection system from power plants.
- A research team led by Prof. Bishnupada Mandal, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Guwahati, developed this indigenous technique, which could be copyrighted soon.
- The oil, natural gas, and biogas industries, as well as petroleum refineries, will benefit from the project’s outputs.
- It also has the potential to save India money in terms of foreign exchange.
- This project will also assist and strengthen the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through its research and education.
- The pilot plant has been relocated to NTPC’s NETRA site following the successful completion of test investigations.
10. Save the Elephant Day 2022: 16 April
- Save the Elephant Day is celebrated on April 16 every year to raise awareness about the dangers elephants face and the various difficulties they have to overcome to live.
- Save The Elephant Day aims to change this alarming trend by educating people about elephants and the plights they face, encouraging everyone to do their bit and helping save them from extinction.
- The Day is established by the Thailand-based Elephant Reintroduction Foundation, to spread awareness among the general people about the significance and consequences of their actions, or inactions on the future of elephants. According to WWF data, at present, the population of Pachyderms in India is around 20,000 to 25,000.
- Elephants are known as the most enormous land animal and a surprisingly gentle giants in the animal kingdom. Emotional, intelligent and beautiful in the wild, sadly elephant populations have been rapidly decreasing due to various threats, perhaps most significantly poaching.
11. World Voice Day 2022 celebrates on 16 April
- World Voice Day (WVD) is celebrated globally on April 16 every year. The day is observed to demonstrate the enormous importance of the voice in the daily lives of all people. The Day is a global annual event dedicated to recognizing the boundless limits of the human voice.
- The mission is to share the excitement of the voice phenomenon with people, scientists, and other funding bodies. This year, the theme of the World Voice Day campaign is ‘Lift your voice’.
- The American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) has put forward the motto of the campaign to highlight how maintaining a good quality of voice can improve communication skills.
- The celebration of World Voice Day was initiated by a group of vocal care professionals in Brazil.
- In 1999, the Brazilian Society of Laryngology and Voice under the chairmanship of Dr Nedio Steffen first celebrated the day as Brazilian Voice Day on 16 April. The day was also observed in Portugal and Argentina.
12. Puducherry LG inaugurated Beach Festival I Sea PONDY-2022
- In the presence of Chief Minister N. Rangasamy, Lieutenant Governor Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan opened the Puducherry first-ever Beach Festival I Sea PONDY-2022.
- Gandhi Beach, Pondy Marina, and Sandunes of Paradise Beach in Puducherry will host the festival for four days.
- During the festival, there will be a variety of cultural events and competitions.
- Pondicherry (or Puducherry) was a French colonial settlement in India until 1954 and is currently a Union Territory town bordering the Tamil Nadu state in the southeast.
- The French Quarter, with its tree-lined avenues, mustard-coloured colonial mansions, and stylish stores, preserves the city’s French heritage.
- Along the Bay of Bengal, a beachfront promenade passes various statues, including a 4m-high Gandhi Memorial.
Important Takeaways for all Competitive Exams:
- Puducherry Chief Minister: N. Rangaswamy;
- Puducherry LG: Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan.
15th April | Current Affairs 2022 | Current Affairs Today | Current Affairs
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!