Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 01 December 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on India’s First On-Demand Blood Platform, PRSI National Award, Worlds AIDS Day 2023.
Top 23 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 01 December 2023
1.Bharat Coking Coal Ltd Starts 5.0 MTPA Madhuband Washery Operations
- Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), a key player under the Ministry of Coal, has achieved a significant milestone with the initiation of commercial operations at its state-of-the-art 5.0 MTPA Madhuband Washery.
- The washery was formally inaugurated by Union Minister of Coal, Mines, and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Pralhad Joshi, marking a momentous occasion for the coal and steel sectors in India.
- In addition to import substitution, the Madhuband Washery contributes to the growth of the economy by ensuring a consistent supply of quality washed coking coal to the steel sector. The efficient utilization of limited coking coal reserves through advanced washing processes not only enhances resource utilization but also fosters sustainability in the coal mining and steel production sectors.
2.Amplifi 2.0: Urban Affairs Ministry’s Data Initiative For Indian cities
- The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in India has embarked on a groundbreaking initiative to centralize and streamline raw data from cities across the country.
- Launched as the Amplifi 2.0 (Assessment and Monitoring Platform for Liveable, Inclusive and Future-ready urban India) portal, this endeavor aims to facilitate data-driven policy-making, empower academics, researchers, and engage stakeholders in the urban development process.
- The Amplifi 2.0 portal is designed to encompass data from over 4,000 Urban Local Bodies eventually. It already provides a wealth of information, covering diverse aspects such as total diesel consumption, water quality testing, annual healthcare expenditure, slum population statistics, and road accident fatalities.
3.Union Home Minister Amit Shah Approves ₹1,658 Crore Recovery and Reconstruction Plan for Joshimath
- Joshimath, a town in Uttarakhand, faced severe challenges due to landslides and ground subsidence. The high-level central committee, led by Union Home Minister Amit Shah, approved a comprehensive recovery and reconstruction (R&R) plan amounting to ₹1,658.17 crore to address the aftermath of these natural disasters.
- The National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) will contribute ₹1079.96 crore through the Recovery and Reconstruction window. The state will provide ₹126.41 crore from its State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) and an additional ₹451.80 crore from the state budget.
4.Blod+: India’s First On-Demand Blood Platform
- Blod.in has unveiled its groundbreaking healthcare software and logistics platform, Blod+. This innovation aims to revolutionize blood management and delivery, addressing the alarming issue of blood wastage in healthcare facilities across the country.
- The platform’s mission is to ensure that hospitals have steady access to blood, ultimately reducing wastage significantly. Blod+ has set new industry standards by significantly reducing the average sourcing time for blood.
- Blod+ surpasses industry norms, reducing the average sourcing time for blood from 6 hours to an average of 2 hours and 7 minutes. This remarkable improvement ensures that critical patients receive timely access to blood, potentially saving countless lives.
5.Nagaland Celebrates its 61st Statehood Day
- Nagaland, a vibrant state in the northeastern region of India, is jubilantly celebrating its 61st Statehood Day on December 1, 2023. Nagas, became the 16th state of the Union of India on December 1, 1963.
- Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio launched initiatives such as the launch of the Nagaland School Safety Policy Digital Training Platform and the Nagaland Disaster Risk Reduction Road Map. These platforms are crucial steps toward ensuring the safety and resilience of the state.
- A notable feature of the celebration is the inauguration of a photo exhibition titled “Nagaland at 60,” organized by the Department of Information & Public Relations. This exhibition will provide a visual journey through Nagaland’s rich history, capturing the essence of its culture, diversity and progress over the past six decades.
6.India Bolsters Naval Strength with $5 Billion Aircraft Carrier to Counter China
- India is set to reinforce its naval capabilities with the addition of a $5 billion aircraft carrier, signaling its strategic response to China’s expanding naval influence in the Indian Ocean region.
- The Defense Acquisition Council is expected to greenlight the acquisition of a second indigenous aircraft carrier, costing nearly 400 billion rupees ($4.8 billion).
- The new aircraft carrier is designed to accommodate a fleet of at least 28 fighter jets and helicopters, with a displacement of 45,000 tons. Notably, the carrier will be equipped with French Rafale jets, showcasing India’s commitment to advanced military technology.
7.Three Anti-Submarine Warfare Ships for Indian Navy Launched at Cochin Shipyard
- On 30th November 2023, the Cochin Shipyard marked a significant milestone with the simultaneous launch of the first three ships in a series of eight Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) shallow water crafts commissioned by the Indian Navy.
- The vessels, names INS Mahe, INS Malva and INS Mangrol, were unveiled in a ceremony attended by distinguished naval officials and their spouses.
- Each Mahe class vessel measures 78 meters in length, 11.36 meters in width, with a draught of 2.7 meters. They have a displacement of 896 tonnes and can achieve speeds of up to 25 knots (approximately 45 km/h).
- With an endurance of 1,800 nautical miles, these vessels are specifically designed to accommodate indigenously-developed sonars for underwater surveillance. The crew composition includes 57 personnel, including seven naval officers.
8.Cabinet Approves Terms For 16th Finance Commission
- Recently, the Union Cabinet greenlit the terms of reference for the Sixteenth Finance Commission (SFC). The SFC is slated to submit its comprehensive report by October 31, 2025, covering a five-year period set to take effect on April 1, 2026. The terms of reference also include a notable clause concerning the disaster management fund.
- The terms of reference, as released by the Cabinet, predominantly encompass constitutionally mandated provisions including the distribution of net proceeds of taxes between the Central government and the states, principles governing grants-in-aid of state revenues from the Consolidated Fund of India, and measures to supplement resources for panchayats and municipalities in the states.
9.India’s Q2 GDP Soars to 7.6%, Outpacing Projections
- India’s economy experienced a remarkable growth of 7.6% during the July-September quarter of the fiscal year 2023-24 (Q2FY24). This places India firmly as the fastest-growing major economy globally, as per the recent GDP data unveiled by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation on November 30.
- The substantial uptick in GDP was primarily propelled by robust performances in key sectors, including manufacturing, mining, and construction. Notably, government spending played a pivotal role in bolstering economic expansion during this period.
- The Q2 GDP growth surpassed both market expectations and the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) projections. The RBI had maintained a more conservative outlook, anticipating a real GDP growth of 6.5% for the fiscal year 2023-24.
10.Output of Core industries grew by 12.1% in October 2023
- In October 2023, the combined Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) exhibited a robust growth of 12.1%, marking a substantial increase from the corresponding month in 2022.
- The positive momentum was reflected across all eight core industries, namely Cement, Coal, Crude Oil, Electricity, Fertilizers, Natural Gas, Refinery Products, and Steel. These industries collectively contribute 40.27% to the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- The final growth rate for the Index of Eight Core Industries in July 2023 has been revised to 8.5%. The cumulative growth rate for the period of April to October 2023-24 stands at 8.6% (provisional), showcasing a positive trend compared to the corresponding period in the previous year.
11.India’s Fiscal Deficit Reaches 45% of FY24 Target in 7 Months
- In the first seven months of the financial year 2023-24, India’s fiscal deficit has reached a significant milestone, standing at 45% of the annual target of Rs 17.87 trillion. This analysis delves into the key figures and trends shaping the country’s fiscal health.
- During the period from April to October, the fiscal deficit amounted to Rs 8.04 trillion, reflecting a notable increase from Rs 7.57 trillion in the corresponding timeframe of the previous fiscal year.
- The current fiscal deficit of 45% closely aligns with the same period last year, where the deficit was 45.6% of the budget estimates for 2022-23. The government’s fiscal planning remains pivotal in managing economic stability.
12.Foxconn’s $1.5 Billion Investment Sparks Technological Boom in India
- In a significant move that signals a shift away from China, Foxconn Technology, a major Apple supplier, has unveiled plans to invest more than $1.5 billion in India. This substantial infusion aims to cater to Foxconn’s operational needs and marks a pivotal moment in the tech industry.
- The $1.541 billion investment is channeled through a Foxconn subsidiary named Hon Hai Technology India Mega Development. This subsidiary, registered in Maharashtra since 2015, will allocate an equivalent amount in Indian rupees for an undisclosed construction project, vital for meeting Foxconn’s operational requirements.
13.RBI Fines Bank of America, N.A., HDFC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) took regulatory action on Thursday, imposing penalties on Bank of America, N.A. and HDFC Bank Ltd. for violations of specific norms.
- The penalties are based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and are not intended to pass judgement on the validity of transactions or agreements between entities and their customers.
- The RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs. 10,000 on Bank of America, N.A. for violating the reporting requirements under the liberalized Remittances Scheme of FEMA 1999. This action comes as a consequence of non-compliance with the Reserve Bank of India’s instructions, indicating a lapse in adherence to regulatory guidelines.
Important Days News
14.Worlds AIDS Day 2023
- December 1, marks as the World AIDS Day 2023 which is observed annually since 1988, serving as a crucial occasion to raise awareness about HIV/ AIDS, commemorate those who have lost their lives to AIDS-related illnesses and show solidarity with people living with HIV.
- The theme for World AIDS Day 2023, “Let Communities Lead!.” This theme emphasizes the collective strength and influence of communities in driving initiatives related to HIV awareness, prevention and healthcare.
- In August 1988, James W. Bunn and Thomas Netter, public information officers for the AIDS Global Program of the World Health Organization, initiated World AIDS Day to address the devastating HIV/ AIDS pandemic.
- With an estimated 90,000 to 150,000 individuals HIV-positive in 1988, they proposed the idea to Dr. Johnathan Mann, Director of the AIDS Global Program, who approved it for December 1.
15.PM Inaugurates 10,000th Jan Aushadhi Kendra at AIIMS Deoghar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi marked a significant milestone in the healthcare sector by inaugurating the 10,000th Jan Aushadhi Kendras at AIIMS, Deoghar. This event also witnessed the launch of an ambitious program aimed at increasing the number of Jan Aushadhi Kendras in the country from 10,000 to 25,000.
- Additionally, the Prime Minister unveiled the Pradhan Mantri Mahila Kisan Drone Kendra, reflecting a holistic approach to healthcare and agricultural prosperity. Launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, PMBJP aims to make quality generic medicines available at affordable prices.
16.Odisha Pavilion bags award at IITF-2023
- The India International Trade Fair (IITF-2023) concluded on a triumphant note on November 27 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. Among the standout highlights was the Odisha Pavilion, which clinched the prestigious gold medal for “Excellence in Display” in the State Pavilion category.
- The Odisha Pavilion, a focal point since the inception of the trade fair, maintained its silver streak by securing the coveted gold medal. The Director of Information and Public Relations Dept, Saroj Kumar Samal, received the award on behalf of Odisha.
- The Pavilion, under the direction of Suryaranjan Mohanty and Additional Director Santosh Das, showcased the State’s unwavering commitment to women’s empowerment and their role in economic prosperity. It featured a diverse array of tribal art, artifacts, and products.
17.HDFC Life’s ‘Insure India’ Campaign Sets Guinness World Record
- HDFC Life, a leading life insurance provider, proudly announced its achievement of a new Guinness World Records title. The accolade was earned through the creation of the largest online selfie mosaic, a remarkable compilation of 19,097 photos contributed by individuals as part of the ‘Insure India’ campaign.
- The insurer emphasized the persistently low life insurance penetration in India and identified a crucial need for greater recognition of its importance and increased adoption. In response to this gap, HDFC Life launched the ‘Insure India’ campaign with the aim of raising awareness about the significance of life insurance among the Indian population.
- The ‘Insure India’ campaign embodies the concept of shared responsibility, involving employees, partners, and customers in driving positive change. The overarching goal is to ensure the protection and financial well-being of every Indian through the comprehensive range of life insurance products and services offered by HDFC Life.
18.Arshia Sattar Conferred with French Honour
- Renowned author and translator Arshia Sattar has added another feather to her cap, being honored with the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters by the French government.
- The prestigious award was presented by Thierry Mathou, the ambassador of France to India, in a ceremony held at the Consulate General of France in Bengaluru on November 28.
- Arshia Sattar, aged 63 and based in Bengaluru, has made significant contributions to Indian literature and mythology. Notable among her works are translations of epics like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, as well as tales from Kathasaritsagara. Her literary prowess extends to creating engaging books for children, with “The Mahabharata for Children” earning her the Sahitya Akademi Prize for Children’s Literature in 2022.
19.Suganthy Sundararaj Honored With PRSI National Award for Healthcare Contributions
- Suganthy Sundararaj, Regional Head of PR at Apollo Hospitals, was honored with the PRSI National Award for outstanding contributions to the Public Relations Society of India (PRSI) and the public relations industry.
- The PRSI National Award acknowledges Suganthy Sundararaj’s extensive and impactful career, emphasizing her pivotal role in advancing the field of public relations within the healthcare sector.
- Suganthy Sundararaj’s journey in the public relations landscape spans over four decades, during which she has played a crucial role in executing the PR mandate for Apollo Hospitals.
- The award ceremony took place at the International Public Relations Festival in New Delhi, a gathering that serves as a platform for seasoned professionals and young minds in the PR space to foster knowledge exchange.
20.NTPC Bongaigaon Secures Double Victory At Greentech Environment Award 2023
- NTPC Bongaigaon, a key player in the power generation sector, has recently garnered significant acclaim for its exemplary contributions to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Environment Protection.
- The power station proudly received two prestigious awards from the Greentech Foundation, underscoring its commitment to sustainable practices and social responsibility.
- The first trophy was bestowed upon the power station in the Environment Protection Category at the 22nd Annual Greentech Environment Award 2023. The second accolade came in the Rural Development Category at the 10th Annual Greentech CSR India Awards.
- The Greentech Environment Awards are a hallmark for acknowledging responsible and innovative practices that champion sustainability, minimize environmental impact, and create lasting benefits for society.
21.Air Marshal Makarand Ranade Assumes Role of Director General (Inspection and Safety) at Air HQ New Delhi
- Air Marshal Makarand Ranade took over the esteemed position of Director General (Inspection and Safety) [DG (I&S)] at Air HQ New Delhi on December 1, 2023, succeeding the accomplished Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor, who retired after more than 38 years of distinguished service.
- An alumnus of National Defence College, New Delhi, and College Interarmée de Defense in Paris, France, Air Marshal Ranade’s illustrious career in the Indian Air Force spans over 36 years. His wealth of experience, leadership acumen, and dedication to service position him as a key figure in upholding the safety and operational standards of the Indian Air Force.
22.West Indies Shane Dowrich Announces International Retirement
- Shane Dowrich, the seasoned wicketkeeper-batsman, has announced his retirement from international cricket and subsequently withdrawn from the West Indies squad set to face England in the upcoming ODI series.
- Making his Test debut against Australia in 2015, Dowrich represented the West Indies in 35 Test matches. His significant contribution with the bat in the longer format includes 1570 runs. As a wicketkeeper, Dowrich showcased his skills by recording 85 catches and five stumpings during his Test career.
- Despite a limited presence in ODIs, Dowrich’s sole appearance in the format came against Bangladesh in 2019, and he was poised to add to that tally in the scheduled series against England. His last appearance for the West Indies was in a Test match against New Zealand in December 2020.
23.R Subbalakshmi Dies At 87: Popular Malayalam Actress And Musician No More
- Veteran actor R. Subbalakshmi, renowned for her remarkable contributions to Malayalam cinema, bid farewell to the mortal world at the age of 87.
- Subbalakshmi’s journey in the entertainment industry began as a dedicated employee of All India Radio. Her passion for music and the arts led her to also serve as a music instructor at Jawahar Balbhavan, showcasing her multifaceted talents early in her career.
- Her breakthrough role in the film “Kalyanaraman” catapulted her to fame, making her a household name. Over the course of her illustrious career, she graced the screens in approximately 75 films, leaving an enduring impact on Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi cinema.
01 December 2023 CURRENT AFFAIRS | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR