- North Korea Capital: Pyongyang; Currency: North Korean won.
i. UN Development Programme (UNDP) has released the 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index. Highlights of the reports are:
- India’s MPI value reduced from 0.283 in 2005-06 to 0.123 in 2015-16.
- India has lifted 271 million people out of poverty between 2006 and 2016, recording the fastest reductions in the multidimensional poverty index.
- India and Cambodia has reduced their MPI values the fastest among the 10 selected countries for which changes over time were analysed.
- Gains for India according to the report:
- deprivation in nutrition from 44.3% in 2005-06 to 21.2% in 2015-16.
- child mortality dropped from 4.5% to 2.2%.
- people deprived of cooking fuel reduced from 52.9% to 26.2%.
- deprivation in sanitation from 50.4% to 24.6%.
- people deprived of drinking water reduced from 16.6% to 6.2%.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For EPFO/LIC ADO Mains:
- Administrator of UNDP: Achim Steiner.
- Capital of Israel: Jerusalem; Currency of Israel : Israeli New Shekel.
- Capital of Myanmar: Naypyitaw; Currency of Myanmar: Burmese Kyat.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For RRB NTPC/IBPS RRB Mains:
- BRICS Headquarters: Shanghai, China; President of BRICS: K V Kamath.
- Members of the BRICS: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Chief Minister of Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal; Lieutenant Governor of Delhi: Anil Baijal.
- Capital of Canada: Ottawa; Currency of Canada: Canadian dollar.
- Minister of External Affairs: Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.
- World Press Freedom Index 2019: Rank of India 140th out of 180.
ii. Some findings of the report are:
- US India bilateral trade could reach USD 238 billion by 2025.
- Sectors such as defence trade, commercial aircrafts, oil and LNG, coal, machinery and electronics are areas of potential growth.
- The US-India trade balance has grown 3.8 per cent on an average in favour of India.
- President of United States: Donald Trump; Capital: Washington, DC.
- External Affairs Minister of India: S. Jaishankar.
- UK Capital: London; Currency: Pound sterling.
- Men (Elite and junior): Achinta Sheuli has won 2 gold medals in 73kg event.
- Junior: Gulam Navi has won gold medal in 67kg event.
- Junior and youth: L. Sadananda Singh has won Bronze & Gold medals in 73kg event.
- Women (Elite): Manpreet Kaur has won silver medal in 76kg event.
- Junior: R. Arockiya Alish has won silver medal in 76kg event.
- Capital of Mexico: Mexico City; Currency of Mexico: Mexican peso.