Amazon Rainforest: The Burning Issue
“This is not just a forest that is burning, This is almost a cemetery. Because all you can see is death,” said Rosana Villar of Greenpeace, who helped CNN to arrange the flights for the damaged and burning areas issue. Amazon is the World largest rainforest, that covers around 5.5 million kilometers of the earth land. About 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon forest which is in danger due to the burning fires, a report said. which has become a current Environmental issue.
Well, the fact can not be denied that a rainforest can not be flammable because of its humid nature. people of that area are burning the forest for farmland or prairies, brush and weeds alike are heaped together, waiting for the dry season. That’s what is burning right now in the Amazon forest.
The reason behind the Fire
This is no doubt an intentional fire set up to clear the land for farming and other purposes. each year the forest sees an uptick around this time. The environment in the Amazon rainforest is humid hence it is not flammable. People want to clear the land for their personal and professional use. This year the flames are so high that even cross the fire rate of the year 2018.
Facts and Figures: Data Analytics of the Amazon rainforest fire
According to the Hindu editorial-Human use of fire to manage land explains the astronomical number of fires — more than 75,000 — recorded by Brazilian authorities since January. According to the space agency, there is an increase in the amazon rainforest fire by 84% as compared to the same period of the year 2018. The crisp reality of the destruction is ethereal: like a vision supplicate by an alarmist to address of what may come if the world doesn’t forewarn its climate crisis now. But this is real. Rondonia has 6,436 fires burning so far this year in it, according to Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (INPE). It has now become the most deforested state. Brazil has 85% more fires burning than this time last year — up to 80,626 nationwide. The fire is so intense that it is hard to see even the sunlight falling on the river.
Damage And Destruction
Amazon is known for accommodating 1000 plus species of animals out of which 500 plus species are unique and found in the Amazon rainforest only. This devastation is effecting the ecosystem brutally. Although the fires are common in the areas of the Amazon forest. Brazilian state experts reported nearly 77,000 wildfires across the country so far this year causing a current environmental issue.
What can be done to save it?
Strict rules and laws should be passed to save such forest that accommodates the number of species, plants that are useful for various purposes. United nation should take care of the endangered species and keep a record of the same so that no human can do this in the coming time. It is important to understand that such actions taken by the man result in global warming and it injects the carbon in the environment badly.
How can we help in the issue?
If you wish to help thousands of species of the Amazon forest be the helping hand and join the initiative. Go to change.org and sign the petition, so that necessary steps can be taken against this disaster.
Facts about Amazon Rainforest:
- It is the world largest tropical rainforest that covers around 5.5 million kilometers of the earth land. It is also called the earth lungs.
- The Amazon is found in the various countries of the world and parts of Brazil, South America, spanning across Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana.
- 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest
- A number of species, plants and unique species can be found here.
- The Amazon has a wide range of rich ecosystem – around 40,000 plant species, 1,300 bird species, 3,000 types of fish, 430 mammals and a whopping 2.5 million different insects are found here
- The Amazon rainforest accounts for more than half of the entire world’s remaining rainforests.
- Around 3000 of fruits are grown here that are edible.
- Many plants found here have medicinal quality, many of the plants are known to have anti-cancer properties.
- Many danger species are also found here. It is also called the home of Anaconda.
- The toucan is the loudest species in the Amazon. You can hear it from a half-mile away.