GeM which is an acronym used for Government e-Market Place hosted by DGS&D where common goods and services can be availed. GeM is a platform that is dynamic, self sustaining and user friendly for making procurement by Government officers.
Present government is mainly focusiing on reforms in public procurement as it forms a very important part of Government activity. Government e-Marketplace can be considered as a very bold step taken by the present Government. This step majorily aim to transform the way in which procurement of goods and services is done by the Government Ministries and Departments, Public Sector Undertakings and other apex autonomous bodies of the Central Government.
|How To Crack Bank Mains Exam In First Attempt?||How To Crack Bank Prelims Exams In First Attempt?||Phrase Replacement: Tips And Tricks And Questions With Example|
Background Of GeM
Two groups of Secretaries made recommendations to the Prime Minister of India in 2016 to establish Government e-Marketplace. The groups recommended setting up of a dedicated e-market for different goods & services procured or sold by Government/PSUs besides reforming DGS&D. After this, in the FY 2016-17, the Finance Minister in his Budget speech announced setting up of a technology driven platform in order to facilitate procurement of goods and services by various Ministries and agencies of the Government.
With technical support from National eGovernance Division (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology) DGS&D has developed GeM portal for procurement of both Products & Services. On 9th August 2016, the portal was launched by the Commerce & Industry Minister. General Financial Rules have authorized the procurement on GeM by making necessary changes in government rules. Currently, more than 7400 products in about 150 product categories and hiring of transport service are available on GeM POC portal and transactions for more than Rs 140 Crore have already been processed through GeM.
One of the reason which makes GeM a success is the fact that it’s a completely paperless, cashless and system driven e-market place that enables procurement of common use goods and services with minimal human interface.
|List of Current Governors in India 2020 – Check Updated Indian Governors of states And UTs||What Is The Lead Bank Scheme in India?||World Ocean Day 2020 On 8 June- Origin, Significance, Theme, And Facts|
Advantages Of GeM
Given below are the advantages of GeM for buyers as well as for Sellers.
- Buyer’s can Search, Compare, Select and Buy facility at single platform.
- Buyer’s can easily buy Goods and Services online, as and when required.
- This portal has brought transparency and ease of buying.
- Buyer’s can check the cvendor rating system
- This portal has a user-friendly dash board for buying and monitoring supplies and payments
- There is easy Return policy
- Sellers can have direct access to all Government departments.
- GeM acts like a one stop shop for marketing with minimal efforts.
- This portal is also one stop shop for bids / reverse auction on products / services
- On this platform there are new Product Suggestion facility available to Sellers
- This portals provide dynamic pricing: Price can be changed based on market conditions
- This portal is Seller friendly dashboard for selling and monitoring of supplies and payments
- It has consistent and uniform purchase procedures
- The listing of products for individual, prescribed categories of Goods/ Services of common use is given in this platform.
- One can easily look, estimate, compare and buy facility on dynamic pricing basis.
- The availability of market place buying of majority of common User Items.
- One can easily buy Goods and Services online, as and when required.
- This is a single window system for aggregating demands and ordering
- This platform offers transparency and ease of buying
- This platform is very useful for low value buying and also for bulk buying at competitive price using Reverse Auction/ e-bidding.
- There is availability of continuous vendor rating system.
- User friendly dash board for buying and monitoring supplies and payments
- There is provision of Return policy
Given below are some of the salient features of this platform.
- GeM brings in Transparency
- GeM enhances Efficiency
- GeM is Secure and safe
- Potential to support Make in India
- Savings to the Government
|SBI PO 2020||IBPS PO 2020||SBI Clerk 2020||IBPS Clerk 2020|
|RBI Grade B 2020||RBI Assistant 2020||LIC AAO & AE||SEBI Grade A 2020|