Banking aspirants must be knowing that it is very important to know that one of the topic from which questions are asked is the Governor of a state & UTs. We have seen many exams in the past where the questions from this topic has been asked. Remembering the names of the these state governors can easily fetch you that bonus marks which can help you in your final selection & We understand the value of those extra marks in your life. In this article, we will be providing you the updated list of Governors in India of all states and UTs. Make sure you bookmark this page for your future reference. This topic will also be beneficial for you during your interview because generally the basic questions are asked, which as an aware citizen of the nation, people must know.
"Did you Know? In this pack you will get All new content we launch in the next 3 months"
This is the most recommended and NRA-CET ready Pack!
Use Code 'DREAM' to avail at best price today
This package Includes IBPS PO Study Material - Subscribe Now
About Bank Mahapack
If you are preparing for more than 1 Banking & Insurance exams then this is the pack we recommend you buy.
It is most cost effective and you get access to 100% digital content for Bank & Insurance exams on Adda247.
Banking & Insurance Exams Covered in this Pack
Additionally, you can crack any private bank job exam with content in this pack.
Bank & Insurance Mahapack Highlights
- Structured course content
- Recorded classes available if you miss any live class
- Previous Years’ Papers of all upcoming exams.
- Full Length Mocks based on the latest pattern with detailed solutions (video solutions for certain topics)
- Topic level knowledge tests
- Strategy sessions, time management & Preparation tips from the experts
Validity: 3 Months
Note: This package is not a part of Double Validity Offer
- Unlimited Live Classes & Recorded Video Courses
- Unlimited Tests and eBooks
- 1 Lakh+ Selections
- 24 Months
- 1 Month
- 12 Months
- 3 Months
Who Is A Governor?
A Governor can be define as a public official who has the power to govern the executive branch of a non-sovereign or sub-national level of government, ranking under the head of state. In other words of federations, Governor may be define as the title of a politician who governs a constituent state and may be either appointed or elected. The power of the individual governor can vary dramatically between political systems of the states, with some governors having only nominal powers in their hands or largely ceremonial power, while others enjoy having complete control over the entire government.
|MSME Full Form – MSME New Definition, MSME Loan Eligibility, MSME Types||SEBI Grade A Officer Vs. RBI Grade B Officer- Detailed Comparison||List of Important Days in June 2020||What is ANTIFA and Why Trump wants to ban it?|
How Governor Is Elected?
Under the Article 157 and Article 158 of the Constitution of India, The eligibility requirements is specified for the post of governor. They are as follows:
A governor must:
- be a citizen of India.
- be at least 35 years of age.
- not be a member of the either house of the parliament or house of the state legislature.
- not hold any office of profit.
List Of State Governors
Given below is the updated list of State Governors:
|Andhra Pradesh||Shri Biswa Bhusan Harichandan|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Brig. (Dr.) B. D. Mishra (Retd.)|
|Assam||Prof. Jagdish Mukhi|
|Bihar||Shri Phagu Chauhan|
|Chhattisgarh||Sushri Anusuiya Uikey|
|Goa||Shri Satya Pal Malik|
|Gujarat||Shri Acharya Dev Vrat|
|Haryana||Shri Satyadev Narayan Arya|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shri Bandaru Dattatraya|
|Jharkhand||Shrimati Droupadi Murmu|
|Karnataka||Shri Vajubhai Vala|
|Kerala||Shri Arif Mohammed Khan|
|Madhya Pradesh||Shri Lal Ji Tandon|
|Maharashtra||Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
|Manipur||Dr. Najma Heptulla|
|Meghalaya||Shri Tathagata Roy|
|Mizoram||Shri P.S. Sreedharan Pillai|
|Nagaland||Shri R. N. Ravi|
|Odisha||Prof. Ganeshi Lal|
|Punjab||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore|
|Rajasthan||Shri Kalraj Mishra|
|Sikkim||Shri Ganga Prasad|
|Tamil Nadu||Shri Banwarilal Purohit|
|Telangana||Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan|
|Tripura||Shri Ramesh Bais|
|Uttar Pradesh||Smt. Anandiben Patel|
|Uttarakhand||Smt. Baby Rani Maurya|
|West Bengal||Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar|
1. Shri Biswabhusan Harichandan- He is the state governor of Andhra Pradesh since 24 July 2019. Harichandan has authored several books some of which include Marubataas, Mahasangramar Mahanayak, Buxi Jagabandhu, Paika Mutiny and his autobiography Sangarsha Sarinahin
2. B. D. Mishra- He is current state governor of Arunachal Pradesh since 3 October 2017. Brigadier Mishra has retired from the Indian Army on 31 July 1995, after a career that began as a permanent regular infantry officer, on 17 December 1961.
3. Jagdish Mukhi- He is the state governor of Assam since 10 October 2017. He had occupied several great position in past positions which includes Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Minister of Finance, Planning, Excise and Taxation and Higher Education in the Delhi government.
4. Phagu Chauhan- He is the state governor of Bihar since 29 July 2019. Phagu chauhan is a former member of 17th Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh from Ghosi, a seat he won from a record six times.
5. Anusuiya Uikey- He is the State Governor of Chhattisgarh Since 29 July. In past, She was elected to the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly from Damua constituency in the 1985 Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election as a member of the Indian National Congress.
6. Satya Pal Malik- He is the state governor of Goa since 3 November 2019. He was also named as the Ultimate Governor of the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir. He assumed the position on 3 November 2019.
7. Acharya Devvrat- He is the State Governor of Gujarat since22 July 2019. Earlier, he was Arya Samaj pracharak and has also served previously as the principal of a Gurukul in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
8. Satya Narayan Arya- He is the state governor of Haryana since 25 August 2018. He has also hold the responsbility as Minister of Mines and Geology of Bihar. He is also an eight-time winning Member of Bihar Legislative Assembly from Rajgi.
9. Bandaru Dattatreya- He is the state governor of Himachal Pradesh since 11 September 2019. Currently, He belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was born in Hyderabad, Dattatreya graduated with a science degree.
10. Draupadi Murmu- He is the state governor of Jharkhand since since 18 May 2015 (1 year, 342 days). She holds the title of the first governor of Jharkhand to complete the 5 year term, since it’s formation in 2000.
11. Vajubhai Vala- He is the state governor of Karnataka. Vajubhai has also served as the Speaker of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly from 2012 to 2014 and he is still a member of Bharatiya Janata Party.
12. Arif Mohammad Khan- He is the state Governor Kerala since 6 September 2019. Previously, He was a cabinet minister in the Union government along with that he has held several portfolios ranging from energy to civil aviation.
13. Lalji Tandon- He is the State Governor of Madhya Pradesh since 29th July 2019. He is also a member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which has formed the current government in the nation.
14. Bhagat Singh Koshyari- He is a state Governor of Maharashtra since 5th September 2019. He is an RSS veteran, Koshyari served as National Vice President of BJP and party’s 1st State president for Uttarakhand.
15. Najma Heptulla- She is the state Governor of Manipur since 21st August 2016 and former vice-president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She is also a six time member of the Rajya Sabha which is the upper house of the Indian parliament, between 1980 and 2016.
16. Tathaghata Roy- He is the state governor of Meghalaya since 27th January 2020. Previously, He had served as the Governor of Tripura, following a political career with the Bharatiya Janata Party, which also included a stint as the president of its West Bengal state unit.
17. P.S Sreedharan Pillai- He is the State Governor of Mizoram since 5 November 2019. He is the only second BJP leader from Kerala to be appointmented as Governor. He also holds the title of a former 2 times Kerala state president of BJP.
18. R.N Ravi- He is the state governor of Nagaland Since 1 August 2019. In 2012, He was retired as special director of the Intelligence Bureau. He was also the Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee from 2014.
19. Ganeshi Lal: He is the state governor of Odisha since 29th May 2018. He was a brilliant students and holds a degree in English Honours.
20. V.P Singh Badnore: He is the state governor of Punjab since 22 August 2016. He was also a member of Rajya Sabha, elected on 17 June 2010.
21.Kalraj Mishra- He is the state governor of Rajasthan since 9th September 2019. He was also the Governor of Himachal Pradesh and Cabinet Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in the BJP-led NDA government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
22. Ganga Prasad- He is the state governor of Sikkim since 26th August 2018. He was also the member of Bihar legislative council and served as leader of opposition during the RJD regime
23. Banwarilal Purohit- He is the state governor of Tamil Nadu since 6th October 2017. He was also appointed as Governor of Assam State by President of India on 17 August 2016.
24. Tamilisai Soundarajan- She is the state governor of Telangana since 8th September 2019. She was the National Secretary and Tamil Nadu State Unit President of the BJP prior to being appointed as the governor.
25. Ramesh Bais- He is the state governor of Tripura since 29th July 2019. He is an active member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and also served as a Union Minister of State for Environment and Forests in Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s government from 1999.
26. Anandiben Patel- She is the state governor of Uttar Pradesh since 29th July 2019. Earlier she was the chief minister of Gujarat.
27. Baby Rani Maurya- She is the state governor of Uttrakhand since 26th August 2018. It was in 1990s that She entered politics as a worker for the Bharatiya Janata Party.
28. Jagdeep Dhankari- He is the state governor of West Bengal since 30th July 2019. Earlier, he was the member of lok sabha in 1989 to 1991.
Lt. Governors & Administrators
Given below is the updated list of Lt. Governors & Administrators of Union Territories:
|Union Territory||Lt. Governor & Administrator|
|Andaman and Nicobar Island (UT)||Admiral D K Joshi (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Chandigarh (UT)||Shri.V.P. Singh Badnore (Administrator)|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (UT)||Shri Praful Patel (Administrator)|
|Delhi (NCT)||Shri Anil Baijal (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Jammu and Kashmir (UT)||Shri Girish Chandra Murmu (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Lakshadweep (UT)||Shri Dineshwar Sharma, IPS, (Administrator)|
|Puducherry (UT)||Dr. Kiran Bedi, IPS, (Retd.) (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Ladakh (UT)||Shri Radha Krishna Mathur (Lieutenant Governor)|
1. Davendra Kumar Joshi- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands since 8th October 2017.
2. V.P Singh Badnore- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Chandigarh since 22 August 2016.
3. Praful Khoda Patel- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu since 30 December 2016 (116 days)
4. R.K Mathur- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Ladakh since 31 October 2019
5. Anil Baijal- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Delhi since 31 December 2016.
6. Dineshwar Sharma- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep since 3 November 2019.
7. Kiran Bedi- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Puducherry since 29 May 2016.
8. Shri Girish Chandra Murmu- He is the lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir since 31 October 2019.
Role & Responsibilities of a Governor
Governor has the same power on a state level as that a president have on a national level. Every action which takes place in a state is done in the name of the Governor by the executive power (Chief Minister) of that State.
There are a lot of reponsibilities that a governor of a state has and some of them are given below:
- The Governor has the Legislative, Judicial, Executive and Financial powers.
- Governor has the right to address, summon, differ and dissolve the State Legislatures
- In case of emergency, the Governor holds the right to make advances from the State Contingency Fund
- With the consent of the state Governor, The Chief Justice of a State High Court is elected.
- In case, no political party wins the Lok Sabha election and is unable to prove the majority, Governor holds the right to elect the Chief Minister for their states
- If there is a constitutional emergency then the President’s rule in a state is acted upon by the Governor
- With the consent of Election Commission, he can disqualify any member from elections.
- State Legislators lay the state budget keeping the Governor’s opinion in consideration
- They governor is appointed for a tenure of 5 years
- As per the law, the same Governor can be appointed for more than one state
- The Governor of a state resides in the Raj Bhavan during his/her tenure and is entitled to a fixed pension.
- Sarojini Naidu was the first woman to become an Indian state Governor of Uttar Pradesh
You can also Check updates related to notification, vacancies, eligibility, exam pattern, syllabus and more related to upcoming bank and insurance exams 2020:
|SBI PO 2020||IBPS PO 2020||SBI Clerk 2020||IBPS Clerk 2020|
|RBI Grade B 2020||RBI Assistant 2020||LIC AAO & AE||SEBI Grade A 2020|