An online privacy solutions provider, SurfShark Ltd. has released a “Digital Quality of Life Index 2020“. It is a global research on the quality of a digital wellbeing in 85 countries hence covering 81% of the global population. The recently launched index ranks the countries by looking their scores in five fundamental pillars that describes the digital quality of life. India has been ranked 57th in Digital Quality of Life Index 2020 with overall score of 0.5. Denmark has topped the index and was followed by Sweden.
- NPCI’s Omni-Channel Loyalty Platform: “nth Rewards”
- Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network: Strengthening Immunization Supply Chain Systems
- State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2020 (SOFI)
- Consumer Protection Act, 2019 Has Come Into Force
- Zoram Mega Food Park: 1st Mega Food Park operationalized in the State of Mizoram
About the Digital Quality of Life Index 2020:
The Digital Quality of Life Index 2020 has been rolled out by online privacy solutions provider, SurfShark Ltd. The index ranks 85 countries of the world, covering 81% of the global population. It has evaluated the 85 nations on five pillars that are meant to define the digital quality of life. Hence, the index throws light on insight into the overall digital quality of life based on five core pillars. These five core pillars are underpinned by 12 indicators that are interrelated and work together to offer a measure of overall digital quality of life.
The five pillars are as follows:
- Internet affordability: It indicates the aount of time people have to work to afford the internet connection.
- Internet quality: It indicates the speed as well as the stability of the internet connectivity in a country.
- Electronic infrastructure: It describes the level of development and inclusiveness in the existing electronic infrastructure.
- Electronic government: It indicates how much advanced and digitized are country’s governmental services.
- Electronic security: It indicates about how much safe and protected can people feel in a country.
Top 5 countries of the Digital Quality of Life Index 2020:
India has been ranked 57th in Digital Quality of Life Index 2020 with overall score of 0.5. India’s rank in the five core pillars is as follows:
- Pillar 1: India has been ranked 09th in terms of Internet affordability.
- Pillar 2: India has been ranked 78th in terms of Internet quality.
- Pillar 3: India has been ranked 79th in terms of Electronic infrastructure.
- Pillar 4: India has been ranked 15th in terms of Electronic government.
- Pillar 5: India has been ranked 57th in terms of Electronic security.
Some key takeaways of the report:
- Report indicates that 7 out of 10 countries having the highest digital quality of life are in Europe.
- It shows that there is high inequality in internet affordability as people in 75% of the researched countries have to work more than the global average to afford the internet.
- The internet stability was severly impacted by the COVID-19 as 49 of 85 countries experienced drops in mobile and 44 in broadband speed due to WFH setting.
- It reveals that 95% of people in Scandinavia use the internet, hence it is the most active internet users base while 35% of people use the internet in Southern Asia making it the least active region globally.
- It indicates that the internet speed is more in countries having high ICT adoption rates and internet usage.
- European Union countries topped in protecting people’s personal data. Hence, they are the leaders in implementing effective cybersecurity policies as well as ensuring personal data protection.
You may also like to read:
- Fourth edition of the virtual Ministerial on Climate Action (MoCA)
- Union Cabinet Approves “Agriculture Infrastructure Fund” Scheme
- What is White paper on ‘Focused Interventions for ‘Make in India’: Post COVID 19’?
- India celebrates 5 glorious years Of The Skill India Mission
All the Best BA’ians for RBI Assistant Mains!