Defence Minister of India:- The Defence Minister is the head of the Ministry of Defence of the Indian Government. They are often supported by Minister of State for Defence and less-commonly, the lower-ranked Deputy Minister of Defence. The defense minister is also the President of the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses and served as a Chancellor of the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology and the National Defence University.
The first defense minister of independent India was Baldev Singh Chokkar, who served in as a Defence Minister in Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet. Rajnath Singh is the current defense minister of India in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet. Students If you preparing for any competitive exams then you must aware that static Gk plays a very important role in the exam, In this article, we are discussing the List of Defence Minister of India so that you can solve questions related to this term in exams.
"Did you Know? In this pack you will get All new content we launch in the next 1 months"
This is the most recommended and NRA-CET ready Pack!
Use Code 'DREAM' to avail at the best price today
This package Includes IBPS PO Study Material - Subscribe Now
About Bank Mahapack
If you are preparing for more than 1 Banking & Insurance exams then this is the pack we recommend you buy.
It is most cost-effective and you get access to 100% digital content for Bank & Insurance exams on Adda247.
Banking & Insurance Exams Covered in this Pack
Additionally, you can crack any private bank job exam with content in this pack.
Bank & Insurance Mahapack Highlights
- Structured course content
- Recorded classes available if you miss any live class
- Previous Years’ Papers of all upcoming exams.
- Full Length Mocks based on the latest pattern with detailed solutions (video solutions for certain topics)
- Topic level knowledge tests
- Strategy sessions, time management & Preparation tips from the experts
Validity: 1 Month
- Unlimited Live Classes & Recorded Video Courses
- Unlimited Tests and eBooks
- 1 Lakh+ Selections
- 15 Months
- 9 Months
- 27 Months
- 3 Months
- 1 Month
List of List of Defence Minister of India
Term of Office starting Date
Term of Office Ending date
|1||Baldev Singh Chokkar||15 August 1947||13 May 1952|
|2||N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar||13 May 1952||10 February 1953|
|3||Jawaharlal Nehru||27 February 1953||10 January 1955|
|4||Kailash Nath Katju||10 January 1955||30 January 1957|
|5||Jawaharlal Nehru||30 January 1957||17 April 1957|
|6||V. K. Krishna Menon||17 April 1957||1 November 1962|
|7||Jawaharlal Nehru||1 November 1962||21 November 1962|
|8||Yashwantrao Chavan||21 November 1962||13 November 1966|
|9||Swaran Singh||13 November 1966||27 June 1970|
|10||Jagjivan Ram||27 June 1970||10 October 1974|
|12||Swaran Singh||10 October 1974||1 December 1975|
|13||Indira Gandhi||1 December 1975||21 December 1975|
|14||Bansi Lal||21 December 1975||24 March 1977|
|15||Jagjivan Ram||28 March 1977||27 July 1979|
|16||Chidambaram Subramaniam||30 July 1979||14 January 1980|
|17||Indira Gandhi||14 January 1980||15 January 1982|
|18||R. Venkataraman||15 August 1982||1 August 1984|
|19||Shankarrao Chavan||3 August 1984||31 December 1984|
|20||P. V. Narasimha Rao||1 January 1985||24 September 1985|
|21||Rajiv Gandhi||25 September 1985||24 January 1987|
|22||V. P. Singh||25 January 1987||12 April 1987|
|23||K. C. Pant||18 April 1987||3 December 1989|
|24||V. P. Singh||6 December 1989||10 November 1990|
|25||Chandra Shekhar||21 November 1990||20 June 1991|
|26||P. V. Narasimha Rao||21 June 1991||26 June 1991|
|27||Sharad Pawar||26 June 1991||5 March 1993|
|28||P. V. Nasimha Rao||6 March 1993||16 May 1996|
|29||Pramod Mahajan||16 May 1996||1 June 1996|
|30||Mulayam Singh Yadav||1 June 1996||19 March 1998|
|31||George Fernandes||19 March 1998||16 March 2001|
|32||Jaswant Singh||16 March 2001||21 October 2001|
|33||George Fernandes||21 October 2001||22 May 2004|
|34||Pranab Mukherjee||22 May 2004||24 October 2006|
|35||A. K. Antony||26 October 2006||26 May 2014|
|36||Arun Jaitley||26 May 2014||9 November 2014|
|37||Manohar Parrikar||9 November 2014||13 March 2017|
|38||Arun Jaitley||13 March 2017||3 September 2017|
|39||Nirmala Sitharaman||3 September 2017||31 May 2019|
|40||Rajnath Singh||31 May 2019||Incumbent|
Role of Defence Minister
The main role of the Defence Ministry is to get policy management of the Government on all Defence and security related subjects and commune them for execution to the Services Headquarters, Inter-Departments, Production formation, and Research and Development departments. It is also required to ensure effective execution of the Government’s policy directions and the implementation of approved programs within the allotted resources.
The duty for national Defence stands with the Cabinet, which is carried out through the Ministry of Defence, which provides the policy structure to the Armed Forces to carry out their duties for the Defence of the country.
Departments of Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence has five Departments, These departments are required to the Ministry of Defence to make sure the effective execution of the Government’s policy directions.
The functions of all the Departments are as follows:
1. The Department of Defence:- The Department of Defence is mandated with the Defence of India including Defence policy. This Department manages the Inter-Services Organizations, Defence Accounts Department, Coast Guard, National Cadet Corps, Border Roads Departments, Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, National Defence College, etc. It manages the Defence Budget, Defence lands and cantonments, matters relating to Parliament, and Defence cooperation with foreign countries.
2. The Department of Defence Production:- The Department of Defence Production handles matters concerning Defence production, indigenization of imported stores, equipment and spares, planning, and control of departmental production units of the Factory Board and Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
3. The Department of Defence Research and Development:- The Department of Defence Research and Development’s role is to counsel the Government on scientific aspects of military equipment and logistics and the Planning of research, design, and development plans for equipment required by the Services.
4.The Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare The Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare lead by a Secretary and It deals with all resettlement, welfare, and pensionary matters of Ex-Servicemen.
5. The Department of Military Affairs This Department deals with the Military Forces of the Union like Army, Navy, and Air Force; combined Headquarters of the Ministry of Defence; the Territorial Army; Works relating to the three services, etc. The Department encourages cooperativeness among the three Services.
|SBI PO 2020||IBPS PO 2020||SBI Clerk 2020||IBPS Clerk 2020|
|RBI Grade B 2020||RBI Assistant 2020||LIC AAO & AE||SEBI Grade A 2020|