Nagasaki Day 2022: Every year on the 9th of August Nagasaki Day is observed. Nagasaki Day is celebrated as the anniversary of the brutal atomic bombing done over the Japanese City, Nagasaki. This year August 9 is the 77th anniversary of Nagasaki Day. In 1945 during the second World War the United States dropped atomic bombs on the city of Nagasaki which took place 3 days after the Hiroshima attack. The nuclear bombardment on the city of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the first as well as the last and this caused a huge destruction to both of the cities. Nagasaki Day is commemorated to remember the people who lost their lives in the nuclear attack and to promote peace politics. In this article, we have discussed the History, Significance, and Key Facts of Nagasaki Day 2022.
Nagasaki Day 2022: Cause and History
In 1945, during the World War II the conflict arose between the Axis Coalition and the Allied Forces. Japan, Nazi Germany and the Kingdom of Italy were included in the Axis Coalition. The United States, Britain, the Soviet Union, and China were the part of Allied Forces. Japan made attacks on the United States and British Forces to occupy European and American colonies of Southeast Asia. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and British-occupied Hong Kong in 1941. The United States and Britain suffered heavy destruction from the attacks of Japan.
Germany made a surrender to the allied forces in May 1945. The Japanese armed forces were asked to surrender by the Allied Leaders but they rejected their demand. The United States realized that they can rescue their millions of members from Japan only by making nuclear attack. The United States made two atomic bombs under the Manhattan Project with the help of idea taken by Nuclear Physicist Robert Oppenheimer. The first atom bomb was given the name Little Boy and another was Fat man. On August 6, 1945 the American B-29 dropped Little Boy on Hiroshima and three days later on 9th August 1945 a nuclear attack was made by Fat Man on Nagasaki. More than 65000 people were found dead and the city was completely destroyed after the attack on Nagasaki. To pay tribute to the people who lost their lives Nagasaki Day is observed.
Nagasaki Day 2022: Key Facts
The important facts related to Nagasaki Day are provided below:
- The bomb was dropped at the height of 1650 feet above the city and the destruction occurred in the 2.6 square miles area.
- On August 15, 1945 after the attack on Nagasaki Japanese emperor Hirohito declared the surrender of his country on a radio broadcast.
- Fat Man was dropped on the city of Nagasaki by US Bomber Bockscar.
- The bomb contained power similar to 22,000 tons of TNT(Trinitrotoluene).
- People that survived in the nuclear attack suffered from physical and mental diseases.
- The atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki marked the end of World War II.
- Fat Man dropped on Nagasaki was a plutonium implosion-type nuclear weapon.
- Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima was an enriched uranium gun-type fission weapon.
- To mark the anniversary of the nuclear attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki an annual event is organized in Galway Alliance War in Eyre Square.
|PNB Recruitment 2022
||IBPS PO Notification 2022|
|LIC HFL Recruitment 2022||BPCL Recruitment 2022|
|BPCL Recruitment 2022||PMC Recruitment 2022|
|Shipping Corporation of India Recruitment 2022||CBHFL Recruitment 2022 Notificati|
FAQs: Nagasaki Day 2022
Q.1 When is Nagasaki Day 2022 celebrated?
Ans. Nagasaki Day 2022 is celebrated on 9th August 2022.
Q.2 What are the important facts regarding Nagasaki Day?
Ans. The important facts regarding Nagasaki Day are discussed in the article above.
|Weekly Current Affairs 2022|