The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary- The Cost Of Peace | 15 September 2020
1. Ceasefires– Noun (अस्त्रविराम)
- Meaning- Suspension of active hostilities
- Synonyms- Armistice, Truce
- Example- Reaching such a cease-fire deal is at the top of the agenda in Doha this weekend.
2. Concerns- Noun & Verb (चिंताओं)
- Meaning– Particularly important, to be a care or distress to
- Synonyms– Worried, Pertain to
- Example– Researchers are concerned that high-risk pregnancies are going undetected during the pandemic
3. Obstacles– Noun (रुकावट)
- Meaning- Blockage
- Synonyms- Crimp, Interference, Obstruction
- Example- Lack of imagination is an obstacle to one’s advancement
4. Stipulated- Verb (अनुबंधित)
- Meaning– Provision in agreement
- Synonyms– Specify, Condition, Contract
- Example– The race health protocol stipulates that all riders plus the staff members should be tested.
5. Reconciliation- Noun (पुनर्मेल )
- Meaning– Re-establishment
- Synonyms– Rapprochement, Balancing
- Example– The two sides are aiming for political reconciliation and an end to decades of violence, which began with the 1979 Soviet invasion.
6. Foreboding- Noun (पूर्वाभास )
- Meaning- Feeling of Something to come
- Synonyms- Premonition, Presentiment
- Example– She had a sense of foreboding that her husband would meet with an accident.
7. Hostage- Noun (बंधक)
- Meaning– Involuntarily controlled
- Synonyms– Prisoner, Captive
- Example– He ultimately wrecked the car he stole and killed himself, while his remaining hostage survived, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said.
8. Dealt (verb) निपटा
- Meaning: Distributed, Shared
- Synonyms: Apportioned, Pareceled
- Example: Some harsh lessons are being dealt out to two teenagers at the same moment
9. Negotiations- Noun (समझौता)
- Meaning– Intend to agreement
- Synonyms– Compromise, Accommodation
- Example– The negotiations between national opposition political parties is not possible.
10. Grapple- Verb (पकड़ना )
- Meaning– Bind closely
- Synonyms– Contend, Make out, Cope
- Example- The public fight is seen as destabilizing the government as it grapples with the coronavirus pandemic.
11. Insurgents- Noun (राजद्रोही )
- Meaning– Opposition to civil authority
- Synonyms– Seditious, Subversive
- Example– He is said to carry the kind of influence that might keep far-flung and often very local insurgent cells united.
12. Inaugural- Adj. (आरम्भ)
- Meaning– Characteristic of a formal induction
- Synonyms– Initiative, Initiatory
- Example– It appeared shortly afterward in “America Is Hard to See,” the inaugural show in the Whitney’s downtown location in 2015
13. Desirable- Adj. (इच्छा करने योग्य)
- Meaning– Worth seeking or achieving
- Synonyms- Coveted, Enviable, Preferred
- Example- Put simply, there is no desirable scenario that does not involve a revitalized left in the United States and abroad.